Is a way of relaxing and enjoying a few hours on the bujagali lake with a drink while enjoying the sceneries, birding, natural caves and many more.
List of Adventure Activities
WHITE-WATER RAFTING on the Nile:
In 1996, Adrift and Nile River Explorers started commercial white-water rafting on the upper section of the Nile from Bujagali Falls. Because of the high volume of water (approximately 1 million liters per second), the white-water activities in the area are particularly safe – so long as you are wearing a life jacket and with experienced guides you can enjoy the ride and natural beauty along the Nile without the danger, but with lots of adrenaline rushes.
Over the last 18 years, many other adventure tourism activities have been established and Jinja district now proudly bears the label of East Africa’s centre for adventure.
Four rafting companies are operating on the upper Nile and offer clients some of the best wild-water in the World, combined with beautiful sections of lush, green, African scenery at the start of Africa’s longest river.
In November of 2011 of the ‘Bujagali’ Dam filled to its new level of 2011 meters above sea level. Several sets of cascades including Bujagali Falls and the Grade 5 rapids at Kyabirwa (Total Gunga) and Namizi (Big Brother / Silverback) were inundated. White-water rafting and kayaking trips now start below the new dam and extend into the section that was originally reserved for 2-day trips. The trips still include BIG rapids and beautiful scenery, with time to relax on calmer stretches and let the adrenaline cool down, ready for the next section of raging white-water action.
Prices and options / combos vary a bit between companies – we list approximate prices as a guide. To get the most current prices we suggest that you go to the websites of each white-water rafting company. Click-on links to each company are given below.
All companies offer great value for money and provide extras that are inclusive to the rafting packages such as transfer to and from Kampala, discounts on accommodation and discounts for other activities.
• Full-Day Rafting – $145
• Extreme Rafting / River Boarding – $145 to $165
• Half-Day Rafting – $115 to $125
• Two-Day Rafting – $250 to $255
• Family Float Trips – $30 to $50
• NOTE Minimum numbers may apply.
• Prices include; transfers from and return to Kampala, rafting, lunch and free or discounted accommodation.
All Terrain Adventures provide drive yourself adventure rides and guided sightseeing safaris ‘off the beaten tracks and into the warm heart of Uganda’, taking you to places that many visitors never get to see.
No previous experience is required – A free training / practice session is provided before each safari starts on 3 specially designed circuits. Well maintained Honda and Yamaha ATVs (All Terrain Vehicles) quad-bikes and Kids Quads. All ages, all levels, all adventure.
Safaris are tailored to suit the abilities of the rider and vary from easy, scenic rides to tough, challenging sections and everything in between. Protective clothing and refreshments are inclusive. No minimum numbers – 1 person welcome. And remember ‘the wetter the better’ – ATV’s love mud!
For families there are short, easy safaris and Kids Quads on supervised circuits.
There are also multi-day packages for Game-viewing and Adventure Safaris at Lake Mburo N.P.
Kayaking and Canoeing:
Kayak The Nile is the most experienced kayak operator on the African continent and offer the ‘kayaking holiday of a lifetime’ on (and in) the warm waters of the Victoria Nile. Kayak the Nile is based at Nile River Explorers Bujagali Camp. Learn to kayak on one of the world’s greatest rivers. Receive expert instruction from guides. Maximize your experience on the Nile. Huge variety of rapids and sections for us to explore. Lunch and drinks everyday on the river. All necessary safety and kayaking equipment.
• Full Day Introduction to White-Water Kayaking – $125 p/p or $140 p/p (one-on-one coaching).
• Two Day Introduction to White-Water Kayaking – $295 p/p • Three Day – $420 • Five Day – $690.
• Half-Day White Water Kayaking – $95pp or $110 p/p (one-on-one coaching).
• Sit-on-Top Kayak / Canoe Cruises – $20 p/h (1 or 2 people – $30 p/h (with guide)
• Stand-Up-Paddle boarding (SUP) – Full Day trip $125 – Half Day White-Water SUP $115 – SUP Rental $15 p/p first hour or $20 for 2 hours.
Grade 5 Tandem Kayaking – Guided trips in the biggest volume tandem kayak journeys in the World; down all of The Nile’s Class 5 rapids in specialized double white-water kayaks. If you go upside down, just hold on and your guide will roll you back upright. An in-your-face full-on experience for the brave. $160 pp (1 person per kayak plus guide).
Nile River Camp also have Sit-on-Top Kayaks and Stand-Up-Paddle boards for hire.
• Sit-on-Top Kayaks – Single for 3 hours $20 – Double for 3 hours $30
• Mum, Dad and Child $30 – Guided trips add – $30
• Stand-Up-Paddle boarding (SUP).
• Per board for 3 hours $20 – Guided trips add $30
Horse Riding Safaris beside the Nile:
Nile Horseback Safaris provide an ideal way to explore the Nile River up close, see a traditional Ugandan village, and view the fantastic panorama from the hills overlooking the Nile River valley. The horses are superb, the landscape is spectacular.
Nile Horseback Safaris run Short Safaris (1hr, 2hr u0026amp; 3hr rides) 7 days a week at 10am in the morning and 2pm in the afternoon. Bookings are essential as they have limited horses and guides.
Never been horse riding before? No need to worry, the majority of people that ride on the short safaris have minimal or no horse riding experience. The horses are well trained, and understand what is required of them. There is a brief training before your safari on the basics of controlling your horse. The safaris go at a pace you feel comfortable with. For safety reasons there is a weight limit for clients of 90Kg. Available between 10am and 2pm.
• Kids Rides – Pony rides for kids from 3 to 10 years. 30 minutes. 60,000 Ush
• 1hr Mixed Group Safari – aimed at novices, kids, aged riders and those that are a little nervous. $40
• 1.5hr Mixed Group Safari -a slightly more advanced version of our 1 hour ride, but still a slower paced safari more aimed at being a sightseeing tour through the village and along the river bank. $50
• 2hr Advanced Rider Safari -a great ride for advanced riders, with lots of cantering in the hills and plantations but also with the section in the village and along the Nile. $60
• Overnight horse safaris – for experienced riders as the route and length of this ride is physically demanding. Treks are approximately 15km down river to The Haven Riverside Lodge.